Monday, September 10, 2012

Remembering 9/11 - 11 Years Later


[Editor's note: this post originally appeared here at Destination: Austin Family on September 11, 2009]

Another Patriot Day has arrived and again I don't feel I am ready for it. How can you ever be ready to recall the events of September 11, 2001?

In last year's post I went into great detail as to how I spent that day living in San Francisco and seemingly a world away from my family in New York where I had grown up.

The conclusion for last year's post is as true now as it was then:
In those years since, time has passed quickly, but not so quickly that I can't pause and take time to remember what was, what could have been and what may be because of those attacks. And as I remember, I will do so as I hold my loved ones a bit tighter tonite, cherish the memory more fervently of those no longer with me, and pray not as silently as usual that we all appreciate what we have when we have it, thank those who protect us when we need it, and love those who love us despite the madness of the world around us.
Photo: Rescue workers conduct search and rescue attempts, descending deep into the rubble of the World Trade Center. September 14, 2001. Source: U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 2nd Class Jim Watson. Public domain.

© 2012, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: