Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Book of Me: Prompt 9 - Halloween


[Editor's Note: The Book of Me is a series of writing prompts focusing on life streaming or preserving one's own memories rather than those of our ancestors and family members. Click here to read more.]

This week's prompt in The Book of Me is Halloween. My memories of Halloween are still pretty vivid and I remember almost every one of them when I was a kid:
  • My first memory is watching the Halloween parade on Main Street in Liberty, New York, dressed in my Caspar the Friendly Ghost costume.
  • I remember Mom taking my brother and I trick or treating over on Dwyer Avenue in Liberty. This was always considered a "safe" area of town and given the crazy stories of razor blades in apples or pins in candy - all urban legends - many children were out in this area on Halloween evening.
  • One Halloween stands out because we actually went trick-or-treating on a Sunday afternoon. I can't recall if this was related to the time change or what.
  • I also remember going over to White Sulphur Springs, New York which was about 5 miles away and marching in their Halloween parade.  There were always cider donuts and hot cocoa at the firehouse afterwards.
  • When we moved out to Neversink Road in 1976, since it was not downtown, we almost never had trick-or-treaters unless they were neighbor children.
© 2013, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: